Defeat cold by taking this healthy food
If you tend to think of lemons as more of a garnish or simply something you can add to a glass of water, it’s time to reconsider. Lemons are one of the healthiest fruits you can consume and given the fact they are so sour, you can rest assured they are not high in sugar like most other fruits. Due to their sour flavor though most people use them in smaller amounts and combine them with herbs and spices and add them to many sauces, dressings, and drinks.
Lemons have several beneficial properties that make it worthwhile to consider adding them to your eating protocol. Let’s look at some of the biggest health benefits that lemons will bring to your life…
1. Strong Antioxidant Power. The first real benefit lemons bring is the fact they offer a powerful dose of antioxidants to your body. Adding lemon or lemon juice to your meals can help you fend off free radical damage and also potentially lower the level of inflammation taking place in your system.
Lemons are a very rich source of vitamin C and has also been shown to help lower the symptoms associated with osteoarthritis along with rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Detoxification Benefits. Next, lemon will act as an excellent detoxification agent in your body. Just serving lemons with the foods you are eating will help cleanse your system, killing any unwanted bacteria that may be residing in your gut.
Killing unwanted gut bacteria is one reason it’s often advised to drink a tall glass of lemon water first thing in the morning. By doing so, you can help detox your system effectively so you go on to feel better throughout the day.
3. Immune Boosting Properties. Finally, thanks to the vitamin C content found in lemons, you will also get great immune boosting properties. Lemons can help you keep your immune system strong, so you’re less likely to fall ill to the common cold or flu, or disease for that matter.
When you have a healthy immune system, your body will be better prepared to fight any invading bacteria or virus and even if you do fall ill, you’ll recover far faster than you otherwise would.
So as you can see, lemons offer some benefits you shouldn’t be overlooking. Given the fact they also add great flavor to your foods without adding any calories, this is also an important reason to consider adding them to your daily eating plan.
Feeling like you might be under the weather? If a viral infection of your upper respiratory tract has taken you out, chances are the last thing you feel like doing is eating. Your appetite is down, your throat is scratchy, and if you have a stuffed up nose, eating means the only way you have to get in the air is now blocked temporarily. It’s not a pleasant experience at all. That said, if you want to make a speedy recovery, eating will be a big part of the plan. Food gives your body the fuel it needs to fight off the viral infection, getting you on the road to recovery.
What’s more is particular foods can help cure a common cold faster than others. Let’s look at the best foods to be eating if you want to beat that infection…
1. Garlic. While not classed as food, if you add garlic to as many dishes as you do eat, you will be much better off. Garlic is a potent immune booster and can also help kill unwanted infections in your body as well. Garlic kills unwanted viruses and bacteria thanks to the level of allicin it contains: allicin is an active component that offers antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
2. Sweet Potatoes. To help give you an energizing boost, sweet potatoes should be your go-to. You do need to eat some carbs while trying to beat a cold even if you aren’t very active right now; it’s these carbs that will give you the energy you need to fight the infection.
Sweet potatoes are great because not only will they help to keep your blood sugar levels stable, but also they’re also a very rich source of vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining your mucosal surfaces. Since these mucosal surfaces are your first defense against infection, they’ll help prevent any further unwanted viruses or bacteria from entering your body.
3. Kale. Preparing yourself a kale salad is another excellent idea when you are down with the common cold. Kale is very rich in vitamin C content, which plays a crucial role in restoring a healthy immune system.
A high intake of vitamin C while you are suffering from a cold can help you lower the overall duration of your cold, helping you get back to feeling better.
4. Chicken Noodle Soup. Finally, the old saying is true: “chicken noodle soup can cure a cold.” The hot liquid will help soothe your sore throat as well as clear up some of the congestion. The recovery is thanks to the fact the hot liquid will raise your internal body temperature which helps loosen mucus secretions in your airways.
Plus, it’s easier to drink soup with a painful throat.
So there you have the top foods to eat next time you feel under the weather with the common cold. Serve these foods and you’ll be back to your usual healthy self in no time.